Thursday, 21 September 2017

Hard is Hard

Right now, we have a lot going on.  Just like any other family.
  Just like you.  But it does feel like there's more than usual.
  Probably because there is.
Many years ago, a counsellor told me that comparing my/our difficulties to those of others was pointless.  Who's to say that my/our struggles are in anyway less, or more, than someone else's?
How do we even measure struggle?
Struggles are hard; they're meant to be.
That's why they're called struggles.
Well-meaning family/friends/acquaintances tell me, "Chin up!  It could be worse!"
Well, yes, of course it could be.  I know that. 
How come when you're happy, no-one ever says, "Chin up!  So-and-so is happier than you are!"?
Sometimes I find myself woe-is-me-ing - I can't do this any more.  I don't want to do this any more -  
but I should be thinking, "why not me/us?" instead of "why me/us?"

Hard is hard.  Struggles are struggles.
Experiences are different for everyone.
Comparison is pointless.   
Perhaps we should all compare and judge less.

Wouldn't that be nice. 

3 comments:

alexa said...

Sad to hear your weariness and struggle :(. Less comparing and less judging? I'll second that. Sending warm support across the ether, and thinking of you.

Becky said...

Oh I hear and understand your weariness and struggles. We are going through hard time here with P's depression. It's so hard seeing her so sad and not being able to do anything to help except be there for her. I agree with less comparing and judging - it's something I do and I agree whole heartedly with your post. Thinking of you at this hard time in your life xx

Ladkyis said...

hard makes easy easier to spot! I know that doesn't make it easier for you, I just want you to know that even though we haven't met I have a good waterproof shoulder and an armful of cwtches should you ever feed the need for such things

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured post

It's Just a Word

Autism. Such a small word, only six letters long. Autism. Such a big word, powerful enough to fill a parent's heart with dread and fe...