Tuesday, 7 February 2017

One Year On

And what a year it turned out to be.
Yesterday was the first anniversary of Mum's death.
There have been times when I've forgotten that she is no longer here.
There have been times when I've missed her more than I thought possible.
There have been times when I felt what can only be described as happy
and knew that she would approve.  
During the day, I had contact with my siblings, extended family members,
 Mum's best friend and my best friend.
It was good to know that we were all loving and missing the same person.
That some people forgot or didn't think to mention it didn't matter.
Mum would have been the first to say, "Let's not make a thing of it."
So I didn't.
I went about my day as usual: school run, grocery shopping, orthodontist appointment,
dog walking, laundry, scrapbooking, ad infinitum.
And during last night's supper, we raised a glass. 

6 comments:

Julie Kirk said...

I'm raising my morning cuppa to her and to you. From what I've witnessed you've navigated the year with care, attention and setting aside time to remember. X

Sian said...

...and a glass raised to you, for living every day of the last year with a eye to the future and a loving hand every so often to reach into the past.

Patio Postcards said...

The holiest of all holidays are those
Kept by ourselves in silence and apart;
The secret anniversaries of the heart,
When the full river of feeling overflows;—
The happy days unclouded to their close;
The sudden joys that out of darkness start
As flames from ashes; swift desires that dart
Like swallows singing down each wind that blows!
White as the gleam of a receding sail,
White as a cloud that floats and fades in air,
White as the whitest lily on a stream,
These tender memories are; —a fairy tale
Of some enchanted land we know not where,
But lovely as a landscape in a dream.

alexa said...

With warmest thoughts ... I have always appreciated your memories of your Mum, your shining love for her, and your ability to be honest and open, Ruth.

Melissa said...

A lovely post remembering your mum. I'm sure she would be pleased to know that you think of her yet are still moving forward with the little details that make up everyday life and finding happiness in the midst of missing her. Hugs!!

debs14 said...

A lovely, honest post. The first year is really hard to cope with, and she would be so proud of how you have managed to get through it. Sending hugs x